WATCH D.O.G.S. (Dads of Great Students) is a national innovative program focused on the prevention of violence in our children’s schools by using the positive influence of fathers and father-figures for a two-fold purpose:
1) To provide an unobtrusive presence in schools, and
2) To be a positive and active role-model for children at their school
According to WATCH D.O.G.S. National Director, Scott Huse, the benefits of the program are many:
1) Schools gain an extra set of eyes and ears. The presence of a father or father-figure enhances a sense of security at the school for students and staff and helps create an environment conducive to learning
2) Children gain a positive male role model. Many children do not have a father-figure present in their home; these children benefit when a positive male role model is present
3) Fathers get a glimpse of their child’s everyday world and learn about the increasingly complex challenges and decisions today’s youth are facing. As a result, they can learn to relate better to their child and hopefully connect with them.
4) Fathers gain a greater awareness for the positive influence they can have on their child’s life in the three critical areas of academic performance, self esteem, and social behavior
What are WATCH D.O.G.S.?:
Watch DOGS are fathers, grandfathers, uncles, and other father-figures who volunteer at least one day each year at an official WATCH D.O.G.S. school. During the day, Watch D.O.G.S. may read and work on flash cards with kids, play at recess, eat lunch with their child, watch the school entrances and hallways, assist with traffic flow, mentor students, and any other assigned activities where they actively engage with not only their child, but other students as well. Their mere presence offers additional security at the school during the day! On the day of their participation, the volunteers are given a brief review of their involvement and they wear an official WATCH D.O.G.S. t-shirt or vest with a ‘Dog Tag’ identifying them as WATCH D.O.G.S.
The WATCH D.O.G.S. program has been recognized by both the United States Department of Education and the Department of Health and Human Services and has been involved in the U.S. Department of Education’s P.F.I.E. (Partnership for Family Involvement in Education). The program has been recognized on the floor of Congress as a program that “can be a great tool in our efforts to prevent school violence and improve student performance because it can increase parental initiative and involvement in their children’s education.
WATCH D.O.G.S. strives to:
1) Raise the banner of positive fathering through the forum of schools across America and the world
2) Awaken fathers to the values and benefits of committed fathering
3) Change the culture by where every child has a father-figure to connect with in a positive way at school
4) Help every school in America be positively influenced by the committed involvement of fathers and father-figures in their children’s life
A WATCH D.O.G.S. registration form is available in the forms section online or in the school office. This form must be filled out prior to volunteering.
A link to access the WATCH D.O.G.S. calendar will be in an email sent from our WATCH D.O.G.S. coordinator once you have signed up.